Why Is My Fish Tank Cloudy?. This question comes into many people’s minds so often but doesn’t worry it is very normal. Water in an aquarium that becomes cloudy is quite common. There are many factors that affect this: the vital activity of microorganisms, the death of fish, diseases, etc. This is an alarming signal, so you need to take this situation with full responsibility.
In this case, you should not panic, because many people involved in breeding aquarium fish face this problem. First, you need to find out why the water in the aquarium has become cloudy, and then take all the necessary measures to purify and return the previous water characteristics.
The Main Causes of Cloudy Fish Tank
There are several reasons for the sudden cloudiness of aquarium water. It is important to know them in order to have an idea of what to do next to fix this problem.
A fairly common cause of turbidity is insufficient soil flushing. You should not be lazy and devote enough time to cleaning. Cloudiness can appear after replacing the liquid in the aquarium with a new one. This must be done carefully. But this can hardly be called a problem because the dregs will go away literally a few minutes after the overflow – it will settle or be filtered.
Here Are Some Other Reasons Why The Water In a Fish Tank Can Become Cloudy
- There are cichlids or veil-tails in the aquarium – these are very mobile fish that constantly burrow into the ground, which leads to the formation of turbidity. The problem can be solved in a simple way – buy a reliable filter and periodically check its performance.
- The discrepancy between the size of the aquarium and the number of fish and plants. You do not need to immediately buy a lot of algae and aquarium fish. First estimate the size of the aquarium itself, based on this, and populate it with inhabitants. The fact is that if the reservoir is too small, and there are a lot of fish, then the filter simply does not cope with its work, not properly purifying the water.
- Excessive feeding of aquarium inhabitants. Ichthyologists have a rule – it is better not to feed the fish than to overfeed them. If this happens, then just give them a small diet for 1 day. Nothing will happen to the fish, but the bacteria will have time to die. Another possible cause is insufficient cleaning of the aquarium after feeding.
- Low-quality decorations. Take a close look at them – if they are poorly processed (and made of plastic), then it is better to throw them away. If the driftwood is made of wood, then it is better to boil it and place it back in the tank.
- Turbidity appears if the fish were treated with certain types of medicines. Many of them negatively affect the bio balance of water, which provokes the multiplication of bacteria.
Cloudy water in an aquarium immediately after starting is very common. You should not panic, but it is better to wait a few days – the sediment will surely go away. Many people begin to change the liquid, believing that it is “dirty” – this is a serious mistake. Because changing the water, you will only achieve an increase in the number of bacteria. Accordingly, the dregs will become even more noticeable.
What Is The Dregs In The Aquarium?
The very appearance of this turbidity will help to determine why the water in the aquarium has become cloudy. The color of the sediment can say a lot, so you need to take a closer look at it.
Green dregs. Such sediment looks creepy, so it can scare a beginner. But there is nothing supernatural about this. The main reason for the appearance of green sediment is an excessive number of certain types of algae, which occurs due to:
- The decay of feed residues.
- Uncontrolled illumination of the aquarium by sunlight.
The problem can be solved in a natural way – to put planktonic crustaceans into the reservoir.
Cloudy water in an aquarium immediately after starting is very common. You should not panic, but it is better to wait a few days – the sediment will surely go away. Many people begin to change the liquid, believing that it is “dirty” – this is a serious mistake because changing the water, will only achieve an increase in the number of bacteria. Accordingly, the dregs will become even more noticeable.
Brown haze appears due to wooden decorations. Wood gives off certain substances that color the water. This is not critical, but the acidity level can change. To avoid this, we recommend pre-soak all-new wooden driftwood.
Saving on food and aquarium decorations can lead to the yellowing of the water. In addition, such sediment will appear if you do not disconnect the internal filter during feeding. If this problem has already happened, then you can temporarily stop feeding for 1 day. If this does not help, then you need to contact a glass aquarium service company.
What Else Can happen To The Water?
Many beginners and even experienced fish breeders are faced with the appearance of bubbles. The reasons for this phenomenon depend on whether you have a new or old glass aquarium.
If it is new, then bubbles appear due to substances that have not yet had time to disappear – these are nitrates, ammonia, etc. In this case, you just have to wait for these components to naturally disappear. If the tank is old, then the appearance of bubbles is a consequence of insufficient care, low-quality driftwood, and feed. You also need to check the filter for performance.
Some breeders complain about the appearance of a film on the surface. She appears for the following reasons:
- Use of high-fat feed.
- Insufficient mixing of water.
- There are a lot of small algae inside.
This problem is one of a series that is easier to prevent than to fight. Monitor the quality of feed (it is better to choose granularly), driftwood, and other decorations. If the film has already appeared, then the ampullary snails can help. If there is no result, it is better to contact a specialized company, which will determine the exact cause of the problem and help eliminate it.
What To Do If The Water Becomes Cloudy in Fish Tank?
If you are experiencing cloudiness in your aquarium, then first you need to deal with the root cause. Further actions depend on the causes of turbidity, the color of the turbidity itself, and other factors.
The problem can be solved by replacing the water, but this must be done in the right way. There are two types of replacement – partial and complete. Full is carried out in the event that the aquarium fish are seriously ill. In other cases, a partial water replacement is carried out. Its frequency is 2 times a week, while no more than 30% of the total volume can be changed. If you do this more often, the water quality will be worse.
You also need to be careful about the quality of the water you fill. It must be clean, free of chlorine and other harmful components, i.e., ordinary unsettled water from the mains will not work.
To get rid of turbidity, you can use ordinary activated carbon, which effectively removes impurities. It is placed in a filter and left for two weeks. But it cannot absorb nitrates, so we use zeolite for this. It is an absorbent that removes harmful components in water.
Let’s highlight several main ways to make the water in an aquarium transparent:
- Clean the tank walls.
- Stabilize the feeding process (remember – it is better not to feed the fish than to overfeed them).
- Change the water periodically – 1 or 2 times a week (no more than 30% of the volume).
How To Properly Prevent Water To Be Cloudy in Fish Tank?
Regular tap water contains not only chlorine but also other substances that can adversely affect the health of fish: nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc. Therefore, before using it for an aquarium, you need to let it settle for 5-7 days.
While this is happening, you can prepare the glass tank:
- Wipe the inside of the reservoir with a clean cloth.
- Clean the filter. It can collect food residues and plaque.
- Cut live plants, remove dead parts.
- Prepare the ground.
When all the preparatory procedures are over, you can proceed to overflow the settled water. Make sure that its temperature is identical to that found inside the tank. The permissible error is 1-2 degrees.
If you do not follow these rules, then you will not only not get rid of the sediment, but you also risk losing all your aquarium fish. It is especially difficult for breeders of very expensive and whimsical individuals.
Cleaning an aquarium is a tricky business that requires a lot of time and skill. If you do not want to bother yourself with these worries, the company “AQUAdesign” will carry out cleaning and scheduled maintenance of the aquarium, using special equipment and reliable equipment.
The service includes:
- Maintaining aquarium design
- Replacement of water
- Fish treatment (or replacement)
- Installation of new filters
- The use of special medicines for fish, etc.
Using our services, you get rid of any hassle of caring for your aquarium fish and their habitat. You just have to feed them and admire their peaceful appearance.